Anyway, originally I had intended to make a maxi dress out of the material, because it had quite a long width and a cool border pattern. You can sort of see the border pattern happening on this dress but on a maxi it would stand out alot more. I still might make a maxi out of the left over material, I have quite a bit left over. I didn't make the maxi because this project was a bit of an instant gratification project. I haven't finished something in aggges, so I wanted something quick and easy were I wouldn't have to worry about fiddly details such as buttons or zippers. I felt that a maxi would a bit more challenging to make work on my figure (which I didn't feel like dealing with) and I wanted something that I knew would look nice. The T-shirt style plus flared skirt is definitely a style of dress I love and I know works most of the time.
Sorry, not sure how easy that is to see in the picture above.
I tried to incorporate the border print of the fabric into the dress, but as it was quite a large print, it isn't that obvious on a shorter dress. As I'm typing this I'm getting the urge to try sew that maxi dress. Might talk about that later.
Because the dress is backless I added a built-in bra and made the bodice completely lined. For me a bra is a must, I hate going braless. The waist is a bit loose, so I made up a little sash to go with the dress to add some definition.
Bye for now :)
Friday, April 15, 2011